Cross-Laminated Timber Towersfor Elevator & Stair Shafts
An Innovative Solution for a Sustainable Commercial Building Design
Elevator and stair towers are a critical part of a multi-story commercial building and serve as the backbone and connection point for many of the key structural elements of the design. Because the areas around the towers are the strongest parts of the building, careful planning and precise design from the architectural and design teams are essential.
QB TimberTowers provides an optimal solution to ensure a safe and efficient multi-story commercial building design that results in a streamlined construction schedule. Our unique system delivers pre-engineered and prefabricated Cross-Laminated Timber (CLT) elevator and stair towers. Built with strong, reliable, and sustainable landing and stair sets, QB Timber Towers is code compliant and fire-rated. CLT mass timber towers offer competitive alternatives to concrete masonry and are innovating commercial prefab buildings.
Avoid Job Delays & Shorten Project Schedules
Building with QB TimberTowers allows pre-fabricated components to be installed quickly, providing safe and immediate egress on the job site and minimizing weather-related schedule delays. Incorporating a CLT elevator tower can save thousands of dollars, shave weeks off your schedule, and reduce your labor force and your carbon footprint.
Top Benefits of our Pre-Engineered Process
- Panelized Precision for Easy Positioning. Tower panels are craned into position providing exact and easy delivery.
- Builds Safety into the Project. Landing and stair sets are hoisted into place early in the build schedule, giving safe egress and trade access to all floors.
- Fast Installation Reduces Schedule Duration. Fully engineered towers are completed in hours vs. weeks using traditional masonry. Read More
- Less Manpower. Shafts can be erected as part of the framing package, which maximizes efficiency and lessens the manpower needed on the job site.
- Fewer Inspections. Quality assurance when critical dimensions matter most. These CNC-machined shafts remove the human factor to ensure all critical clearances and required dimensions are met ensuring a smoother inspection process.
- Financial Benefits. QB TimberTowers reduces overall construction time, saving contractors and building owners thousands of dollars.
Timber Towers Provide Versatility in Design
Cross-Laminated QB TimberTowers are versatile in their application to easily integrate with conventional construction as well as Mass Timber projects.
(Click to Enlarge)Our panelized design reduces the number of pieces to install which reduces labor and risk
(Click to Enlarge)QB TimberTowers Offers Code Compliant Fire Rating, Safe Egress, and Trade Access to all Floors
QB TimberTowers are Fire-Resistant
Another notable benefit to using QB TimberTowers CLT elevator and stair towers is their fire-resistant properties. Like heavy timber, mass timber has inherent fire resistance that allows the wood to be exposed, while still achieving the two-hour fire-resistance rating. Fire resistance is measured from the start of the fire up until the point that the material is no longer functional. Resistance is measured in minutes: FR 30, 45, 60, or 120.
To achieve the designed fire resistance period, each CLT panel within the building must be designed for the fire-resistance period and the specific loading applied to that panel. Fire resistance testing of CLT panels is to ISO 834, which is the same standard used for doors.